Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Secret Shame of Joe Sixtop c2010 by Joe Sixtop all rights reserved

     For a lot of years I've mostly worked two jobs; one day and one night. Awhile back a tornado swept away my night gig. Some of you may feel disappointed that I was off that evening.So instead of hustling up and finding something else to do in the afternoons, I've just kept my shifts at the AM place and I pick up some nights there. I'm getting by, but not as well as I'm used to.
     And it'll probably be another couple of weeks before I get off my lazy ass and go seek something else. They've temporarily transferred me, as a trainer, to a new store they're opening. I'll probably bore y'all with some more about that later. ANYWAY, I knew a few of the people there, but it's basically a brand new set of coworkers. And I hate their fucking guts.
     It's not because they're A-holes or bad teammates or shitty workers; they're none of those. It's because they all work so many hours a week that I feel like a rich white college boy who picks up the occasional summertime waitshift at Daddy's country club just so he can bitch about his "job" to his frat brothers when he goes back to school in September. Nobody has just one job. Nobody's had a day off since, like, August. Nobody gets to kick back and chill. Nobody but me, and I'm ashamed of myself.
     The tornado wasn't my fault, but I've kind of used it as an excuse to kind of just coast for too long. I've worked beaucoup hours before and I can do it again. If these people can do it, then so can I. As soon as this training gig is over, I've got to force myself to go get an acceptable second job.
     But first, I'm going to enjoy this day off.
__________________________________________________________________________________

      The Center for the Scientific Study of Pointless Information has estimated that the readership here at "These American Servers" has now reached the low single digits. I'm shooting for the mid-single digits by year's end. Maybe with the help of my devoted readership (either of you) it can happen. Email (actually Gmail, you're smart, you can figure it out) me or hit me up on that Facebook thing all the kids are so into these days. Happy Holidays and 2011 to you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment