Monday, October 22, 2012

Like Acid and Oil on a Madman's Face ©2012 by Joe Sixtop all rights reserved

     If you sit in my station or read These American Servers™, you'll experience at least one commonality among the two activities: all you'll perceive are some mediocre results and not how much I put into either endeavor. That isn't to say I put in a lot or anything, just more than people who might momentarily ponder the subject probably think. Not so much today's installment, though. I've always come up with at least one rough draft of each episode before I serve it up to ya and this one's no different. But I'm devoting just a little less time and effort to this baby. There're reasons for that. I'll probably share 'em with y'all in future episodes. Just so ya know.
     ANYWAY, I just started a new PM gig—again, more on that (maybe) in future editions of These American Servers!—my third in that time slot this year. It's cool; I needed a job and they were kind enough to hire me. Like your manager kept saying ad nauseum back in about 2007 or so, it is what it is. You never know what situations &/or opportunities might arise but for now I plan to hang onto this at least 'til midwinter.
     Tonight ended the end of my first full week out of training here. I was assigned what they consider a power station. It's got a fourtop, two deuces and a table that'll easily seat up to ten adults. "Joe," my manager grinned, "do ya think you're ready for that badass section?" I assured her that I did think so and that I'd do my best.
     A 15 rolled in. Eleven of them went to my big table. The other four were put at two deuces in another waiter's station. They should have been seated at my open fourtop but that's not my call to make. The five little children in the party all went to my table. So did the one person in the group I disliked on sight: the scowling individual who looked like ghetto Troy Polamalu with a bad attitude (he turned out to be a pleasant, easy-going sort and my bad for being judgmental).
     Everybody seemed pretty cool. They ran me some but nothing outside of what you should normally expect if you're a server. Nobody was an A-hole and my co-worker who shared the party with me and I were gratified to see that our group seemed to enjoy themselves and their dining experience. Oh yeah, and we were told up front that it'd all be one check.
     When they were done and the ticket was requested, I had to hunt down a manager to consolidate the tables onto one check. This was done. Everything was now on my sever number. The total bill—only one beer was ordered and remember, five of them were kids—was $182.53. I gave the check to the woman who asked for it. She took it to a gentleman who was obviously well into Social Security age and they perused it. From what I overheard, they were looking for mistakes, made by my co-worker or me. I don't have a problem with that; nobody's perfect. Just don't glare up at me like I'm some kind of bad guy out to fuck you over while you're doing your ciphering. They didn't glare or uncover any errors.
     Ms. Lady gave me the presenter with the ticket for $182.53 and two crisp hundred-dollar bills. "I'll be right back with your change," I smiled, thinking I'd at least be told that wouldn't be necessary and pretty hopeful that someone might cough up a couple of fives or something on top of it.
    But instead, she chirped, "OK," so I made the change, put it into the server book and gave it to her, then disappeared into the kitchen. I hadn't discussed it with jones who'd waited on about 30% of the party with me but I'd already decided that, come what may, I'd give him half of whatever we got and just pay all the taxes and tipout myself. Fuck it.
     They slowly got up, stretched, gathered up their stuff and the kids and departed. About that time, I strolled out of the kitchen. The woman who'd paid caught my eye, smiled big and pointed to the server book on the table. A moment later, they were gone. I looked into the check presenter. It contained a whopping eight bucks. It was kind of a slow night and my tentop never got sat again.

8 comments:

  1. So, you still split the 8 smacks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea, he offered me a buck of his share but I was like 'don't worry@ it'. U reading and commenting makes it a little better,thanx! I hope you'll come back often

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take it the new spot doesn't allow auto-grat? Tables like this are precisely why restaurants add tip to begin with.
    Not sure how your tip outs work, but from taxes alone, you basically lost money on this party. I'd be so steamed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thx 4 readingand commenting! They don't have auto-grat and I rarely use it when it is. I did no better than break even, if that, for sure. As 4 being steamed, that'll do me no good, at least I got a blogpost out of it. PS I enjoy reading your advetures, I hope you'lll come back here often. Cheers,_______________-Joe

      Delete
  4. maybe you guys just suck ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, thx 4 reading and commenting AND adding to my raging low self-esteem :) I hope you'll return here often!

      Delete
  5. That sucks! And thus the reason I continue to hate people. Also, seems to me that you judgement of them was correct in the first place.

    Good luck with the new PM job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, i'm glad it's safe to show up again now, even tho' I was disappointed that you didn't get the gig as prez of General Motors (yet) but I'll be glad to read your adventures again! The only one of them I kind of judged was that one dude who was mean-mugging(not at me) when he rolled in; he acted nice at the table & I don't think had any say in the payment, so i not h8 him, just his fellow diners who left a lousy $8 on $183! Thx 4 reading and commenting and I hope you'll return often. Cheers, _____-Joe

      Delete